Satellite Clubs establish new and regular opportunities for inactive young people aged 14-19 to participate in sport or physical activity.
What is a Satellite Club?
- An extension of a community sports club (hub club) or totally new opportunity
- Held at a familiar site (such as school, college, youth centre or other community setting)
What does a Satellite Club look like and what is the focus?
- 14-19 year olds
- Must focus on inactive participants
- Should focus on one the following demographics: girls, disability/long term health conditions, young people at risk of offending or of lower socio-economic circumstance.
- Satellite clubs can be in a range of sport or physical activities, from hockey to yoga.
- Satellite clubs can be funded for up to 30 weeks initially and should become fully sustainable.
- All satellite clubs should be open to the community, not just host site participants.
- Clubs must be self sustaining e.g. participant income must be redirected back into the club
- Activity must be new and not an existing project
- Evidence must exist showing a demand for the project
- Sessions offered are designed around the needs of young people and provide them with positive enjoyable experiences that make it easy for them to become active
- Sessions are young people (customer) led including involving young people in decisions and design
What can funding be used for?
- Coaching/delivery costs
- Qualifications and training
- Further funding may also be available to help sustain the satellite club following the funding period
What are the benefits?
- Increase club's outreach, diversify the audience and membership, resulting in income generation.
- Attract new groups to community sport
- Improve long-term sustainability of the club
- Raise profile of the club, venue and partner organisation to attract interest from partners and funders
- Provides opportunities to train and recruit volunteers and leaders
- Introduces inactive individuals to a new activity and increases the likelihood of retaining them in activity
If you have an idea for a satellite club please complete the Expression of Interest form below.
Project Officer (Children & Young People)
- School Games Operations
- Active Lives Survey (CYP) Lead
- Campaign support
- Sports equipment
- Satellite Clubs
- 01905 542035 / 07766 991855