Parkrun GP Pledge Day
Posted: Tue, 14 May 2019 12:27
In an exciting and innovative initiative, the Royal College of General Practitioners is collaborating with parkrun UK to promote the health and wellbeing of staff and patients. The aim is to get as many general practice staff as possible to pledge in advance, to join thousands of walkers, runners and volunteers at parkrun events across the UK on the same day - 1st June 2019.
Under this initiative, GP practices across the UK are encouraged to develop close links with their local parkrun to become parkrun practices.
What is parkrun?
- Free, weekly 5k events, every Saturday morning, in areas of open space
- 2k junior parkruns for 4-14 year olds and their families on Sunday mornings
- Over 850 locations across the UK
- Organised by local volunteer teams
- Walk, run, jog, volunteer or spectate - take part in any way that suits you
- Open to all, including those who are inactive or have health conditions or disabilities
- Opportunity to socialise, make friends and be part of a welcoming, supportive community
Involvement in this initiative will help practices:
- Improve the health and wellbeing of practice staff
- improve the health and wellbeing of patients and carers, reducing the need for lifelong medication
- Raise awareness amongst the parkrun community of services that practices provide
- Contribute to the development of a local community and environment that is centred around wellness generation
- Support the UK-wide movement to scale up social prescribing activities
To find a parkrun near you, visit our activity finder.